We all know a foodborne illnesses outbreak poses a potential threat to your business. Yet, you might think your restaurant will never fall victim to one; really, what are the chances? Let’s take a closer look at the numbers associated with foodborne illness outbreaks to help put this into perspective.
- 60 – the percentage of foodborne illness outbreaks that happen in restaurants according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- 250+ - the different types of foodborne illnesses that exist
- 864 – the number of foodborne illness outbreaks reported in the United States in 2014 according to the CDC
- 3,000 – the number of people that die each year from a foodborne illness
- 128,000 – the number of people hospitalized annually because of a foodborne illness
- 48 million – the number of people that get sick from contaminated food each year in the United States
- Priceless – the impact a foodborne illness can have on your restaurant’s reputation
These numbers really speak for themselves. They demonstrate that not only is a foodborne illness outbreak more common than you may believe, but that an outbreak has a tremendous impact on your restaurant’s success. These numbers also serve as a reminder that it is imperative to implement a strong food safety program.